the Maxwell's

the Maxwell's
Us at Easter 2012

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A cooking Embarrassment

I have never clamed to be a good cook. And I have never really had the desire to become a good cook. For the first two years of my marriage the majority of our meals were eaten out and Josh usually made those that were eaten at home. Since moving to Winnemucca and having ZERO chain restaurants in town, I had to learn how to cook something. I am afraid to try and cook something because I am so nervous I am going to mess it up and leave us without a dinner. Luckily Josh has been cooking his own dinner (chicken and Rice) every night so I thought I would start cooking. If I messed it up, I only messed up my dinner and I could live with that.
While making my shopping list this week I wrote out what I would make each night for dinner. Monday night: Summer Chicken Pasta with Mushrooms. They only ingredient I couldn’t find was cooking wine, but other then that I was good to go. AND I’M OFF… I started by browning my chicken and cooking my pasta. I was doing just fine getting my onions, garlic, and tomatoes ready. By that time Josh was home and he was taking a little interest in what I was making. I needed to add some chicken broth but when I went to my cabinet I found, not chicken broth, but cream of chicken. NOT THE SAME THING! When I realized I didn’t have chicken broth, I was ready to give up. I was all annoyed that my first attempt had failed right after I started! I went into the fridge and grabbed a jar of tomato sauce ready to throw it over the chicken and call it a day. JOSH TO THE RESCUE!!! He wouldn’t let me give up. We searched through the cabinet to see if we could make anything work. Josh, being the super hero that he is, found a can of chicken noodle soup. He strained out the noodles and caught all the juice in a measuring cup. MY HERO. Thanks to his inventiveness my dinner was saved and it was super yummy. I look forward to making it again with all the correct ingredients.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Corrie! I was in the same predicament for the first year or so of my marriage! I knew nothing, and honestly I had no desire to really start learning. I love to eat out and love to be cooked for! If somebody elkse can do it well, well then let them do it right?! lol... Then as I had more children and I had to start doing more cooking to save money I have gotten better. I wanted to encourage you that as long as you can follow directions you can cook well! I always choose the easy recipes and the quick recipes, then it doesnt seem like such a chore for me. I follow a great blog called $5 dinners and she has a lot of kids and has some really great recipes. Your sisters have also been a huge blessing in this are in my life, they have som really easy, really great recipes! Once I started seeing that I could cook well too, it encouraged me to broaden my horizons!Crock pot meals are yummy and easy and not much work! It really is easy to cook without cooking a gourmet meal and still feel satisfied!
Way to go cooking the chicken ad not giving up! YOu can do it!!!