the Maxwell's

the Maxwell's
Us at Easter 2012

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Burdens

The other day I was reading a blog and she was talking about how she felt overwhelmed and she ended her blog by saying that God doesn't give us more then we can handle. I have heard this saying a million times and I have probably said it that many times as well. It wasn't until last night that I really got to thinking about it. Where does it say that in the bible?? I can't remember ever reading it or hearing a sermon on it or even hearing a Pastor say it. So where did it come from? (if you can think of a passage of where it is found please let me know). The only passage I could think of was Matthew 11:28. Jesus is talking and he says "come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." Then it struck me, it's not that God doesn't give us more then WE can handle, he doesn't give us more then what HE can handle. OK that makes more sense.
We can all probably all think of a time in our lives when we felt like the world was coming down on our shoulders because we had so much going on. I know I have. And there have been plenty of times when I tried to unload the weight all by myself (without much success I might add).
Right now I feel as if I have the weight of the world on my shoulders. There is so much going on and so much to think about that I have felt so overwhelmed and helpless. The other night I had a complete meltdown and was sitting in my bed balling my eyes out because I couldn't stop thinking about everything going on and everything I was failing at and I just didn't know what else to do. I was so sick of thinking about it and worrying about it. I felt as if I have prayed about it so much that my prayers weren't even making sense anymore. So finally, with mascara filled tears rolling down my cheeks and a gallon of snot coming out of my nose (pretty picture right?)I just shouted out to God "What is your will because I don't know what else to do. What is your will?" And with that I had complete clarity in my head. There was nothing in there. No thoughts of worry or failure. No insecurities or pain just peace and quiet. I didn't even feel the need to cry anymore. I still don't know what I am suppose to do or what is going to happen, I just knew God was saying "I am handling it. This isn't for you to handle. I've got this."
I'm also not a believer in the saying "let go and let God". I believe that to an extent. I know that everything is in God's hands but if your child is sick your not just going to sit on the couch and hope that they get better. You go to the doctor and pray that something can be done. He wants us to trust in Him, and he wants us to follow his guidance when it is given.
I count myself very blessed that God does not tell us that we are on our own. He wants to take our burdens... big or small. I hope this made at least a little bit of sense to someone out there. If not it was good for me to get my thoughts out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought this verse might help

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

1 Corinthians 10:13

It reminds me that everyone is capable of being tempted in any area, I can resist any temptation, and God always provides an escape.

Kelly Kovach said...

Hi Corrie,

The Anonymous post before mine is the verse that we "transpose" into the phrase that God will never give us more than we can handle. Admittedly, I don't know if it is accurate or correct to take this verse as meaning that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I, too, feel like I am in a perpetual state of being overwhelmed and frustrated for a variety of reasons, all of which I cannot control nor change in my own strength. To my shame and further frustration, I too often attempt to control things and neglect to rely on God. Thanks for the reminder that I need to be going to my heavenly Father and laying my burdens at His feet. Love to you and lots of hugs. Miss you terribly!!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is look at the life of Job. Did he have more than anyone could handle? Loss of finances, family and his own health. He had more reasons than you or I could ever have to doubt that he could endure trials. The trials come to test our faith and our response is crucial. It's not just about us but God's reputation. Should it always be easy? No. Are my feelings irrelevant? No. But faith says suck it up endure and don't ever give in or give up. If God can't help us through EVERY trial then how could we be sure he could take us through ANY trial?